Saturday, September 2, 2006

Why Is It?

     Riddle me this:  Why is it that classes that you have only once a week seem to pile on more homework than your average 2-3 times a week classes?  I mean honestly.  True, you only meet once a week and it's a 4 credit hour class, but is all that homework really necessary?  I think not.  I don't mind reading the 7 chapters for Nicholas Nickleby because I love the book so far, but it's all the creative writing homework that's dragging me down.  I have to read the first chapter of a book that my friend who is in the same class told me is very dry and boring.  Plus, I have to index it.  And the funny part about indexing is the fact that half the time with writing books they are just reiterating many things that have been drilled into me during my educational career, so I have to "pretend" to learn something new or think some idea is just so cool that I must remember it.  But oh well.  At least the poem reading should go faster than the book on how to write a poem, but there in lies another problem.  Besides reading 57 pages of a poetry book, god knows what length of a boring chapter, and indexing, I have to write two responses to two poems while also writing a poem myself.  All for Tuesday.  Is that insane or what?

     Not to mention there are my other classes as well.  About 20 pages and a journal for Class, Status and Power, 2 sections in Elements of Style plus a journal for Teaching writing, Reading two chapters for my art class, doing a power point homework thingy, doing the illustrator assignments, and now beginning to work on our first project.  Time.  What is that elusive thing?  Will it pause in order for me to get all of this stuff done?  The answer: Hell no.  But I will burn the midnight oil to do so.

     And this is why college students don't really have a life (those who do are either a. delusional, b. blowing off all their work, or c. lucky bastards with fewer classes and homework).  That is why I won't be enjoying my 3 day weekend.  I will be doing homework.  Yay me!  Off to read Nicholas Nickleby and then creative writing and then

No comments:

Post a Comment