Tuesday, September 22, 2009

150 Year Legacy

This weekend Adrian College will be celebrating its 150th anniversary. Quite a feat. Its roots go back to the civil war. In fact, Adrian College itself was involved in the abolitionist movement. So it has a rich and storied history.

A lot has changed since its inception in 1850. Hell, a lot has changed since I graduated in 2007. Resident halls have been redone (Pellowe has had a complete overhaul), apartments have been bought and built. There is now a skating rink and AC no longer has to share a football field with the local high school thanks to the completion of a stadium in 2006.

When I entered Adrian College in 2003, enrollment was down. A lot of people that I came in with didn't even make it past the first semester, or their first year. Now, enrollment is up and Adrian College has been ranked by US News & World Report as the #1Up-and-Coming Baccalaureate College in the Midwest for the 2nd year in a row.

So it is with even more enthusiasm that this 150 year anniversary is celebrated. Unfortunately, I can't make it to the festivities, but it promises to be a blast. Well, the part I will miss will be getting together with my former English professors, but I have plans to go to Adrian sometime in October.

3 comments:

  1. wow! you're way more enthusiastic about our alma mater (sp?!?) than i am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I could care less about the admins, but I loved the professors I had (some who are now gone due to the aforementioned admins) and I like the friends I made there, but I am less than found of the new outlook on sports and some of the comments Docking made about us previous students. But, I do think the abolitionist movement was cool in AC's history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did'ja notice the blatant typo on the cover of the latest president's report... or whatever that booklet thingee is called?

    ReplyDelete