Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where have I heard that before?

My little sister told me that she wants to be a famous writer.  Nothing wrong with dreaming, although we all know the likelihood of them hitting it big is relatively low, especially in this economy, digital age, and the instant gratification factor.

My favorite part about this is the fact that she hates reading.  Now, this could be because of her ESL nightmares, however, I think not. She is enraptured with her movies and television, but can’t be bothered to pick up a book.

Now, I am from the school that to be a good writer, you have to be a good reader.  Am I wrong?  I guess one doesn’t have to read a book to write a book, but it helps.  Especially if you can get your hands on those really special, well-written tomes.

I have always been an avid reader.  I have had stories and poems circulating and percolating in my brain for ages.  But I believe all the literature I have read, and the classes I have took, have made me the better writer.

It really breaks my heart to hear that the majority of children would rather watch tv than curl up with a good book.

1 comment:

  1. i guess you wouldn't *have* to be a reader to be a writer, but... sheesh. you'd think it'd be sort've handy to know what a book is before you write one, eh?

    on the other hand, maybe she'll revolutionize writing!

    or somehow create a reality-book... like reality-tv, only worse, if you can imagine such a thing.

    ReplyDelete