Thursday, February 19, 2009

Veracity of Dreams

Dream interpretation has been a hot debate, at least in certain circles.  How much stock can one put in a dream?  According to Freud, there are many subconscious desires and knowledge that comes out in dreams.  Of course, Freud was also a big proponent of recognizing sexual urges in dreams.  Sometimes a cigar is a just a cigar, not some weird phallic representation.

I have little faith, myself, in dreams.  They are silly things that are not memorable and I fail to see how they can actually relate to reality.  What does it mean to have a werewolf sitting outside your door or to go bowling with turkeys at your best friend's house?  Consult a dream dictionary and they answers are absurd.  Any reference to wolves/werewolves brings up sex.  Since children have such dreams, I highly doubt dreaming of such a thing represents suppressed sexual desire.

My grandmother, however, puts great stock in dreams.  In sooth, several dreams of hers have come true - the good and the bad.  She says that you know when those dreams will come true.  She has always had a good idea of which of her dreams will come to pass.  Now, nothing is exactly the way it is in dreams.  It is not a true account of the events that have come to happen.  It is eerie when she relates all that she dreamed and what happened later.

Should I believe her?  Well, yes.  I don't put much stock in dreams, but I do hers.  Mainly because I have heard her tell the stories months before such events actually occurred - many without the slightest hint that such events were actually on the horizon.  She has dreamt of deaths and joyous happenings, all of which have come to pass.

So, should I worry about recurring dreams?  Ones that don't seem to implausible?  Ones that worry me?  Grandmother says that recurring dreams prepare you for an event to come.  I believe that I don't want this event to come - it just doesn't seem right, or fair, to the parties involved.  So, I think I shall stick with believing that my dreams come to naught and will leave the "special" dreams to my grandmother.

1 comment:

  1. my dreams tend to be pretty realistic. i mean, things quite unnatural are happening, but the settings and characters, and often the premise and events, are all reasonably grounded in stuff that could certainly happen.

    i have often wondered, if not what in the hell these things mean, then at least where in the hell they come from. it tends to drive me nuts when i wake up scratching my head muttering, "now, why in the world did i have a dream about THAT?" ...where "that" typically refers to some specific event, or a particular person... basically, something that really happened at some point, or a person i used to know, but usually something i haven't thought of in years, and i really wonder what triggered the recollection so vividly that it popped up in a dream.

    i think it was jung who said that dreams are just collections of things that you've seen throughout the day. ...i think my dreams tend to null such a thing out.

    ReplyDelete